04-08-12 21:09
"...the typical reaction of dominant groups is denial and dismissal of the incident as a harmless prank" (Razack 1998: 41). Sexist jokes are still sexist. My words are directed at sexism, not at Matt or Paul as people.
04-09-12 00:50
no, seriously...
i don't live with matt... also, your viewpoint is ridiculous
04-09-12 11:20
Paul - Recognize your position of privilege and take responsibility for how you use that privilege to silence people.
04-09-12 12:05
no, seriously...
rhetoric has no place in meaningful discussions. communication has both context and substance and while matt's idea may have been revolting, he has demonstrated himself to hold women in unusually high regard. also, elowel has been dead for years. the idea that his clearly off-handed comment expressed in a void would have any meaningful impact on the world is laughable. to the same degree your hyperbolic response expresses an unreasonable level of sensitivity and erodes the legitimacy of your cause. i don't mean to say that objectification of women is alright, but you thought-policing a broom closet strikes me as completely pointless.
04-09-12 16:31
Paul - My follow-up responses are not directed at Matt's original post anymore so I am relocating this conversation.
04-09-12 16:32
I feel belittled when you downplay my concerns through gaslighting rather than engaging in communicative action. Gaslighting -- http://www.huffingtonpost.com/yashar-hedayat/a-message-to-women-from-a_1_b_958859.html

There is a great distinction between thought-policing and expressing how someone's words and actions make me feel. You reinforce your position of privilege when you claim that your situated perspective is objective and thus legitimate whereas my feelings undercut any claim to being heard. I'm willing to discuss this issue more with you when you're ready to prioritize dialogic communication over an agenda to prove me wrong.
04-09-12 21:17
no, seriously...
i feel cornered when you implicate a sexist agenda in order to avoid taking responsibility for your extremist position. obviously gender inequality is a legitimate issue but your intolerance toward a benign expression of vaguely sexual desire makes you seem petty and undermines the significance of your cause.

by adopting the role of a victim you exaggerate your disadvantage. masquerading your contempt as a feeling that your safety and comfort had been violated was both dishonest and emotionally manipulative. if you acknowledge your incense you could easily be dismissed as a malcontent but by martyring yourself you give false credence to your indefensible position.
04-09-12 21:55
scholar of China
I would really like to see a site that documented all sexual organ appearances in movies, regardless as whether they are credited as male or female or other. www.organpipe.com
04-10-12 02:15
Breathe deep
If so, I hope they keep the image of the couple awkwardly listening to the jukebox and the boy who is dying of headphones (what comes up when I go to organpipe.com.
04-10-12 02:16
Breathe deep
woops. meant http://www.organpipe.com.
page generation: 0.062s (15.4% in 8 sqls) | cpu load: 0.00
2017 elowel.org